Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

When I think of Florida...

When I think of Florida, I think of sunshine, beaches, and rainy afternoons. I think of marlins, tarpons, and redfish. I think of loggerheads, osprey, Space Shuttles, evening sunsets, and rising property taxes -oops - I guess that last one is a little out of place.

I've always dreamed of a beach front home on the Gulf of Mexico bordered by lots of pine trees, wild flowers, and sawgrass.  I'd be awakened every morning by the sounds of osprey and egrets greeting each other near a quiet wetland pond visible from my bedroom window.  I often see myself pouring a glass of orange juice, grabbing the newspaper (or laptop), and heading onto my screened in porch to watch the charter boats heading out for a day of fun and sun.

Sigh....I like a nice day dream, don't you?

Except for the beach part, I ran across a blog with pictures, stories, and descriptions that meet a lot of my "living the Florida dream" requirements on the Pure Florida blog. Pure Florida is written by a native Floridian, former National Park Service Ranger, and descendant of Minorcan ancestors. 

I've absoutely enjoyed reading about mud turtles, alligators, recirculating shrimp farming systems, and scrub jays. So pour yourself an orange juice (or cup of coffee if you prefer), fire up your lap top, and head out onto your screened in porch and watch the shorebirds frolic in the surf....oops...there I go again getting a little carried away....but seriously, check out Pure Florida. It's a hoot!

A Florida Journal follows a similar pattern with lots of pictures -- alligators, crocodiles, cypress swamps, hiking trails, red shoulder hawks -- you get the idea.  This blog also offers a unique perspective of Florida that you don't run across everyday -- one-of-a-kind aerial photos. There's even some pictures from a visit to Spook Hill near Lake Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment